INSPIRATION CREDIT

Over the weekend on instagram, I called out a few people who had poorly copied my friend's design and looks verbatimly and given themselves credit for creating the style.
The plagiarism and lack of understanding of what the value of one's originality or creativity is worth made me ponder a lot these past few days.
I have often written about the importance of creating one's niche or adding one's touch to everything one does so this is a topic close to home for me.
Late last year and earlier this year, I had a few friends call me asking me if I had seen a couple of posts and pictures by random people which was an exact duplicate of my looks, and I smiled. Some I had seen and others I found funny still at how much I inspire people.
However, I also wondered why they couldn't be like the few people who would tag me as their inspiration.
If you could copy others then you should be able to acknowledge or say thank you to them for inspiring you.
If we give credit to those who take our photographs, why don't we do the same to those who inspire us?
I have had so many deja vu moments of a lot of my looks just by scrolling down some people's instagram, some create my looks exactly and some go as far as stealing my ideas.
I know you may feel like why do I blog if I want to keep my ideas or style as mine, but truth is I do not want to keep them mine.
I actually want to inspire people, smile and be proud but that can only happen if you acknowledge that I had something to do with it.
I know a few people consider it flattering but in a case where a lot has gone into creating, planning, and thinking up an idea then it is super annoying.
Developing Ideas are always difficult the first time round.
The worse part for me isn't the unoriginality because copying other people's work can sometimes be unintentional but the taking of someone else's credit by using crazy quotes and hashtags.
If you are going to use #Icreatemystyle , you better be damn sure you did create that style.
And if you got some obvious inspiration from someone then you should consider giving #InspirationCredit.
There should be value placed on creativity, even if the average Nigerian can't be bothered to value creativity or input, it doesn't mean that it isn't worth it.
Do not take away from people's Energy, time and strategy.

#PutsomeRespekonotherpeopleswork

what do you think?

Photo source: Lily Cole wearing Stella McCartney RTW Spring/Summer 2005 in Vogue UK July 2005 (photography: Tim Walker), Karlie Kloss wearing Giambattista Valli Couture Fall/Winter 2014 in Vogue US December 2014 (photography: Patrick Demarchelier, styling: Phyllis Posnick || inspired by fashionedbylove)
post signature

2 comments

  1. I know exactly how you feel. When first started making fabric accessories I would see other ppl who did the same, using pics of ituen bassey and not saying they are her designs. Granted, every Nigerian knows her work,still it doesn't hurt and saying they are your creations? Made no sense to me.
    Then one day a year or two after I put up some photos of the accessories I made, I aw another crafter use five different photos from my Facebook page, telling ppl to come learn how to make the things in said photo just like "she did". I was gobsmacked and quickly sent her an email telling her that as much as we are all trying to make a living out of hand made crafting, wouldn't it be nice if she either credited me for the photos or take them down completely. Result? She made her Instagram page private.
    It hurt me no lie but I have come to realise that ppl would do whatever they want cos they know they can get away with it.
    The first time I heard about plagiarism I must have been 12 or so and had completely copied a comic drawing work of an older student exactly as she did. I didn't see it as anything. Truth be told,i felt proud that I was able to redo her work but when the original artist accused me of plagiarism and was mad about me non chalantly redoing her work with no effort at all, I understood her and gave my copy to her(was forced to actually but that's not the point!!😂😂)
    Being creative is for everyone,but not everyone puts in the effort...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of things to say about this.

    1. Credit should be given where due. Especially if and when it's outright and obvious.

    2. That being said, ideas are not always unique. Meaning that different people can come up with the same basic idea independently of each other. That's why sometimes you see a product and go "Ooooh, I had that idea!"

    I think in this day and age, the issue of copying or stealing ideas should be handled carefully.

    Berry Dakara Blog

    ReplyDelete

Your comments keeps me going...
I love to hear from you, read your comments and I would love to check up on you and bond as well, so drop your info.
Thanks for stopping by.
You can Email your other enquiries to Makodesola@gmail.com
x