WHY ARE YOU SO AFRAID?






Why am I so afraid?
Why are we so afraid?

These are questions that i have pondered on so much ever since i attended my friend’s exhibition at the freedom park in Lagos yesterday.
Mr. Femi Falana, a S.A.N and activist gave a speech in line with my friend, Baba Oladeji’s exhibition in which he proposed a new police headquarters as a gift to Fela on his 100th birthday in 2038.
The speech and exhibition was such a brilliant one, analyzing what Nigeria as a country as become and coming to a conclusion that our cowardly and fearful nature is the major cause of a lot of things we go through.

It was earlier today I started to realize how I’m one of those people who live in constant fear, always looking for answers to my many questions while standing or sitting in the same place.
People who know me, who have seen me chase the things I’m passionate about will disagree as they tend to call me a go getter, but sometimes i wonder if that is entirely true, i wonder furthermore what that makes the average Nigerian around me.

I recently ran into an old friend and i told her how i would like to go take a few courses and travel a bit around Nigeria, especially to the northern region.
My friend reminded me of Boko haram and how unsafe travelling to the north is.
In that point i heard that voice inside me telling me how true it is and giving me a million ideas of other places I can visit but I had to shut that voice down replying her saying that a man can die in his sleep or get ran over in his home so if it isn’t my time i will be fine. I concluded by saying I don’t need the negativity.

I realized though that the only reason i could answer that way was that i didn’t have a choice except to see the world more and take that course that I’m extremely passionate about.


We grow up and realize that we have managed to confine ourselves to the four corners of the area we grew up or live in. Some people haven’t even explored the state they live, talk less of the neighbouring state or country and unfortunately I’m one of them.

I haven’t seen as much as i can or should have seen, I’m not exposed enough and sadly it has nothing to do with travelling abroad.
It also has nothing to do with not having money.
Even at home I’m still afraid to wander.

When we were kids, we had all these big dreams of wanting to be this and wanting to be that, and gradually growing up made us feel like we couldn’t have these massive dreams anymore and we started to feel like all our dreams and goals were too unrealistic since we couldn't even figure out where to start.

I don’t blame growing up for fear but I blame an environment like ours for how afraid we are and for how limited we feel.

we continue to justify our fears and failures and we constantly say that preferential treatment are given to those who school abroad. I do not disagree but we forget that preferential treatment can only be given only after one has chased after something.

If you haven't asked, knocked, seeked or applied because you are afraid of the outcome, then you have no right to justify the reason why you aren't where you need to be.

With the realization that this society comes with fear, there is need to decide now, just like I’m going to as well, that you are going to stop these seven things that lead to more and more fear.
  •    Over thinking.
  •    Over analyzing.
  •    Thinking that the length of your life is within your power.
  •    Settling.
  •    Accepting the things you aren’t okay with.
  •    Justifying the things you could have changed.
  •    Being afraid of receiving a negative or unfavourable response like "No" or of making mistakes.


   I'm starting today as the first day of an analytic, strategic and fearless journey towards my biggest dreams and goals.
And I hope that with this very intention, you also start yours.
      What is your biggest fear and what are you going to turn it into?
    Mine is the fear of failure that from today, I will consciously dismiss and redirect into a need for success.


Pictures by Bidemi Adedeji

Outfit

Sandal: @Desire1709fashion
Outfit:  @hdhqgoods
Hair: Review here

P.s: Forgive my ashy feet, my sweaty face and my oily forehead.
post signature

5 comments

  1. My biggest fear is animals and I don't plan on conquering that fear. I'm fine with it.

    In other fears... right now I'm facing uncertainty and not knowing what comes next. But I have to remember that God has me covered and all I need to do is run and live in His shelter.

    Berry Dakara Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you went to the zoo, you aren't that scared of animalas then.

      Delete
  2. Nice write up. Every is afraid of something.... I however think if the fear is a 'good fear' the do it afraid kinda fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts dear.
    I'm facing sooooooo many fears these days that I feel like going crazy overthinking things day and night.

    My faith in God is actually helping me getting my usual confidence back when I need it the most !
    I think that is part of growing up....

    http://www.afrogenik.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is so accurate. The part about how we grow up and start to see our massive dreams as unrealistic because we don't even know where to start- story of my life.
    I want to start taking risks and reaching now that there isn't a whole lot to lose.

    Naija girl next door

    ReplyDelete

Your comments keeps me going...
I love to hear from you, read your comments and I would love to check up on you and bond as well, so drop your info.
Thanks for stopping by.
You can Email your other enquiries to Makodesola@gmail.com
x