WANDERSTYLE || HATS IN AFRICA











Tall palm trees, clear blue skies with a cloudy hint of grey hues.
The palm fronds kept waving at me. 
"Is this how it is at home? or is this the bonus of wandering? i wondered.

It's been two days since my road trip. I love not having to be home. I love the mystery the streets offer. The unfamiliar feel of everything around me. I can smell fulfillment from finally doing this.

Me and my travel buddies have come to associate two beautiful things to the city of Accra.
Colours and Contentment...maybe even patience.

Ghanaians are not the nicest of people, like Nigerians they are extremists.
The nice ones are super nice, the angry ones are over the top and the list goes on in that manner.
However, some of these opinions and perspectives can be blamed on noise..that is language barrier or even accent barrier.

Heyssss; doesn't work here. No matter how loud no one is going to answer you.
*LANGUAGE BARRIER* right?
They would rather call you Empress* this part I found funny.

Ghanaians are touchy people, they think it is okay to tap, hold and touch you while communicating or trying to communicate.
they reminded me so much of the vendors in yaba market in this aspect.

Most of the people here take things slow, the bus and cab rides are way too slow for a Lagos Bred like I, but on the brighter side I'm conscious that I'm on holidays which makes the 18 hours spent on the road to this city worth it.


The colours on the street of Accra have a tale to tell, *beautiful, rich, different and explosive.
The Ghanaians love colours and aren't afraid of it. 
They are a bland people but their walls, cabs, streets are full of colours and I'm still in awe of such a beautiful city.

I really didn't do much, yes, I tried their jollof rice but it isn't as good as ours, we all agreed.
I also scored some fashion bargains, the very highlight of every fashion lover or bloggers life.

Somewhere in between all these wandering, I slept and woke up at my own time without feeling sorry for myself.

I couldn't have asked for better travel buddies.
Maybe I could, who knows but I really couldn't have.
T is a gee, always ready to play photographer, explore the city and catch an extra hour or two in bed.
A was my go to for making up fantasies and fictions and I had so much fun doing that spending most of our conversations laughing so hard.

I on the other hand, remained the girl trying to check every buy and making sure there is a bargain and that it is right because well the travel purse is nothing next to the wanderlust and the ever expanding wander list.

Can I cross three cities off my list though?

Benin
The city where the bus still felt like a cave and I watched vintage bags walk past me on the arms of the vendors. 
I also saw a large warehouse full of cartoons of frozen chicken and turkey that would soon find its way to our houses and even our stomachs.

Lome, Togo
The city of palm trees and ladies on scooters and bikes with their hand bags hanging from the stirrings and their headties almost as big as ours.
I met a nice guy who sold me the most perfectly fitted jeans for 400naira.


This is an abstract of the first two days of my road trip to Accra, Ghana.
hope you like it.
Check out more pictures on my instagram page @dee_mako and by following the hashtag #DATvsGH #DeetakesGH #Deetour

what is the farthest place you've gone by road?

I'm wearing
Shirt: @thehdhqv
shorts: Old
Shandals: Daltimore
Bag: Zashadu
inner top *Bikini: @thehdhqv
wristwatch: swatch
sunnies: @thehdhqv

post signature

22 comments

  1. Beautiful pictures. Of cos Nigerian jollof rocks. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself 'empress' lol

    Epiphany29.com
    CLAD IN P!NK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our bag! Seems like you had a lot of fun. Longest road trip 6 hours, Lagos - Asaba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEP YEP..I did.
      i have been to asaba as well, sometime in 2012, though it was from ekiti so it was relatively about 2/3 hours.

      Delete
  3. You look amazing. Love the hat and everything about this look. I should consider going to Ghana on my leave maybe.
    thoniabankz.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally go, i would post a review soon

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos. I saw y'all on Instagram and was just wishing I had my chance to go to Ghana myself. Maybe whenever I come back to visit.

    The farthest I've traveled by road is 18 hours from Atlanta to Boston. In Nigeria, it was the 10+ hours from Lagos to Abuja.

    Berry Dakara Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghana is different you will enjoy it there, you should totally visit.
      the Lagos to Abuja journey should be equivalent to lagos to ghana but the border police have made it double the time.

      Delete
  5. What does DAT mean?
    Did you stop at Benin & Togo to explore the city?
    Sounds like you had a good time in Ghana.

    www.tukesquest.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DAT means Desola. Alice. Titi. its the initials of our first names.
      we walked through togo and benin for a few minutes but I plan to go to Togo during the may day holiday.
      I had the best time.

      Delete
  6. Daaaamn girl, i just died for that hat and sunglasses! ♥

    www.thrill-hunter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, love this post! I'd love to visit Ghana myself someday.
    Also, I'm really loving your accessories. Your shoes are different but I'm feeling them!

    / O.R.R. - Life & Style Journal

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm proud of you! I need to do some crossing too! Now I know bits about GH. This hat is a win, very edgy. I can imagine the sun beam! the wide brim is more than perfect for deflection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. the Hat is the only thing I bought in terms of souvenir on this trip. i love the width so much. too perfect.x

      Delete
    2. Loving your hat and the whole Sunny Day Concept. Good work!

      Leonard Adejumo, Menswear Enthusiast/Blogger
      www.leonardadejumo.com

      Delete
  9. Ghana is indeed a beautiful city and you had so much fun. You remind me of my mum, she made us go to Ghnan in 2010 by road because she said it would be lovely to go through different cities and explore the place. It's indeed a beautiful place and now that I'm older I really wouldn't mind going back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally enjoyed reading this post!love the pictures too !iv been to ghana once by road and I had a blast too...can't wait to come covet the hat....*dancing in advance*..X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely outfit.

    www.imodelafrica.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So there's a fun girl in there after all. I stand corrected, Dee Mako is not a weirdo. Not 100% anyways. Good piece btw.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the hair and sunglasses combo. And your bag too, cute :). Zashadu is super high on my wishlist. Would really love to visit Ghana this year, just don't know if I'll have the energy for a road trip.

    www.howmojistyledit.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments keeps me going...
I love to hear from you, read your comments and I would love to check up on you and bond as well, so drop your info.
Thanks for stopping by.
You can Email your other enquiries to Makodesola@gmail.com
x