ON COMPLIMENTS || JUST SAY THANK YOU


Hey you! you look so beautiful today, yes you reading right now!!

Did you do that face that my boyfriend does when i'm being all mushy? that face that dismisses or just doesn't take a compliment? then this is for you!
I thought the inability to Accept compliments was a Nigerian thing until I watched the Amy schumer video on compliments via pop sugar the other day.

I was in an informal debate with my classmates last year in our lecture room and I was analyzing how every time we get a compliment or better still every time I get a compliment I pull a 'hahaha! Don't whine me" card or an 'abeg' or a 'nawa' followed by a negative comment to downsize the compliment to my level of comfort.

A compliment about me "looking so good or having great legs gets replied with a ' nawa me that I'm looking super dead or stressed'.
The problem however is that undermining people's compliments of you doesn't make you feel better it just makes us seem insecure.
I would never call myself insecure but when compliments roll in, I am definitely one of those very awkward recipients.

Getting a blog compliment to my face or a fan moment gets me looking stupid or clueless.

Compliments are very rare and people would rather practice body shaming than give you compliments so whenever you get it give yourself some credit and accept it with a thank you and a smile.

There is a quote that sums up what our attitudes should be like when we do get compliments by Marianne Williamson ;

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Why do we seek for kindness and kind words and when it is handed to us we don't know what to do with it than to dismiss it? Why is it that the understanding that we are what we are and we can be what we want to be seems so beyond our imagination?

Compliments isn't the only thing we need to start accepting.
we need to start accepting ourselves, our growths, finances, businesses and lives.
We need an uplift in the area of acceptance and confidence.

All i'm trying to tell you is to make a conscious effort to accept your compliments whether its a whine or it is less that true or its true. Take it in good strides. Smile and Just say THANK you.

Hello there you are fabulous!
What do you think about compliments? are you an awkward receiver? or a perpetual deflector?

post signature

20 comments

  1. Ahhhh I'm very good at saying thank you when it comes form strangers or people I'm not really cool with. When it comes from a friend I always just laugh it off. And then sometimes people could be so judgemental, you say thank you and they say you are proud. lol Nigerians. Once i was involved in the planning of an event, it turned out nice. some group of girls walked up to me and said it was lovely, im a hard worker and all. I smiled and said thank you with so much pride and confidence happy that i did something good. Only for them to turn back and say ahh shes too proud.

    www.theblackwriter.com
    vsco.co/theblackwriter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are different and on those who will turn back and say what they like, whether you bask in the compliment or shy from it they would still have something to say. it's important that we don't let the human factors change who and what we are. thanks for stopping by.x

      Delete
  2. I'm the same way. Self deprecating remarks always come out of my mouth when I get compliments, or I roll my eyes because I'm 100% sure they're joking. It's better to learn how to say "Thank you" and appreciate that someone was nice enough to say what they think about you or your outfit or anything else.

    Berry Dakara Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, because most people aren't necessarily nice its important to appreciate those who are.x

      Delete
  3. This is such an eye opener. I kind of deflect compliments too lol. Thank you for that compliment dear.

    www.fafresh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAA, You are most welcome and i think at least 90% of us deflect compliments. its a good time to be more open to it.

      Delete
  4. Def in my fave top 3 post.. Very insightful, loved it. D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you lover, means plenty to me.

      Delete
    2. I love compliments tho. Is this the one aka "D". *tongue out
      Fashionitazbybuiti.blogspot.com

      Delete
  5. lool this happened to me today. I'm definitely working on just saying thak you and keeping the negativity away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saying "thank you" has always been my thing, i really love it when i get compliments, it enables me to work harder, great post 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, you are a rare gem. i wanna be like you soonest.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Dee, I noticed this was the case a while back with me and I'm working towards accepting compliments more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you definitely should. we all should work towards being better at it.

      Delete
  8. I've definitely started accepting compliments more, but Nigerians sha they would give you compliment you will say thank you, they say you too proud. Like man!!!
    It's because people are so two faced this days we always question it.
    Positive Vibes only this year.
    Itsdivadiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes yes, people are two facd but we should never let it define how we respond to compliments.x

      Delete
  9. This is something I struggle with and I'm currently trying to DESTROY! and I will so help me God :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amen, i love the word DESTROY and im going to adopt it.x

      Delete

Your comments keeps me going...
I love to hear from you, read your comments and I would love to check up on you and bond as well, so drop your info.
Thanks for stopping by.
You can Email your other enquiries to Makodesola@gmail.com
x