TRENDS REPORT || 16 SS|16 TRENDS TO TRY IN 2016


We all understand what fashion week is about and we all look forward to seeing what we should and would be wearing in the next season which is s/s 16.
Looking through the collections of the Designers at Lagos Fashion and Design week 2015, below are 16 trends you definitely should try out in 2016.


ANDROGYNY: This is a trend that was prominent on the runway, it deals with combination of masculine and feminine characteristics to a piece of clothing. For females it might be simply dressing as a tomboy and for males it might be dressing in feminine-like pieces.
It is important to note that no matter what it is that one wears it doesn't affect one's sexuality.
I explored a bit of this style this year as well, check out these posts; view my favourite here and a double dose feature here.
You should explore it as well if you haven't started to.




BOWS: I remember when bows were my favorite thing to put on a dress, whether it was on the sleeves at the waist or behind and I remember how childish it started to feel.
However, a lot of the designers redefined how bows should be worn by adding a loose maxi kind of bow on the waists and even at the bust area. Interesting enough you can achieve this look by using a sash like meddle lane did in their collection. I'm looking forward to exploring this.



DOUBLE SLEEVES: This trend is one that I alongside only a few people would have noticed but that I found super interesting, you can achieve this look by simply wearing a shirt or sweater top beneath a shortsleeve top or dress or by wearing a tiny strap dress or a fatter strap dress but either way its such a fun trend to try. I liked Ejiro Amos Tafiri's version a lot as she played with prints and different sleeve styles.
 

FRINGES: Maki Oh's final fringe mini off shoulder dress redefined fringe for me, I am yet to truly explore it as I keep believing that its going to fade away soon but it seems to be here to stay.
I love how they make up just tiny parts of the outfits. I also liked the fun way they are used to spice up Tsemaye's pieces.
when you are writing your shopping list they should definitely be on it in a classic neutral colour or fun bold colours, either way you will be making a trendy investment.



HEAD PIECES: this trend is one that makes me so excited as I'm all about headpieces and hats and I'm so glad that even though they probably would never stop being in fashion, they are getting more risque and creative.
The classic fascinators and hats most models had on and the jaw dropping ones that were featured just keeps me so excited about how much I can do with head pieces next year.
This year, I have worn some beautiful pieces (see here, here, here and here) and i hope just like I, you are looking forward to exploring them more.



LONG-er SLEEVES: Long sleeve pieces are a very important addition to everyone's wardrobe whether it is on a jumper on a classic turtleneck top or a white shirt. what I found interesting this season though, is how longer sleeves are so in. With designers showcasing pieces that are longer than the wrists and in some cases longer than the whole arm.
I love this trend and its just going to make room for me to explore them especially in boyfriend or male shirts.



OFF SHOULDERS: Hello the one trend I fell in love with since earlier this year, that I can keep wearing till next year and hopefully years to come. Off shoulders are so sexy and feminine just leaving a bit of skin out for the imagination of the opposite sex and keeping the other parts of your body concealed is the best way to do class. There's something about wearing it in structured fitted pieces like washington Robert's pieces and loose pieces as well.





PINAFORE STYLE SLEEVES: I'm glad that designers are considering the heavy chested females a bit more by throwing in wider straps instead of the tiny straps. What I love more however is how its adoption creates an illusion of pinafore.
Please take a moment to savor the wedding dress by Tsemaye, all I can say is OMG sold.



RUFFLES: I'm obsessed with ruffles. Thanks to fashion week Highlow dresses have sparked up a dying interest in me. I love how the ruffles are used as beautiful accents on dresses, offshoulders and even skirts. they can either be in form of pleats or gathers.




SIDE DETAILS: Don't just wear pieces with details in front and back, give people something to look at by your sides. It might be a little skin like the Titi Belo pieces or some roses like T.I nathan's or even wearing other trends like fringes and ruffles by your sides.

This trend is one that I love because it's a breathe of fresh air and it will totally define how we wear our bottoms.



SPORT WEARS: Who could have thought that African designers would start to infuse sport wears in their collections. I appreciate how much initiative went into this and how people are being encouraged to indirectly live a health conscious and fun life stylishly.
The best way to infuse or support a culture or a movement is by creating fashion statements and pieces that create awareness and support  the culture and that's exactly what this trend will do.


STATEMENT SLEEVES: Sleeves definitely underwent a revolution this season with Big statement sleeves being a part of most collections. Tiffany Amber's maxi sleeves kept me breath taken and so did Ade Bakare's as well.


TIE AND DYE: If you are still wondering what to invest in in terms of  fabric and design, Now you know. Tie and dye designs are 2016's must have and they can be in jersey, cotton, chiffon or whatever kind of fabric you like.

For those of you getting married and looking for aso ebi fabrics think Tie and dye as well. the beautiful part is that you can create any design you like in whatever mix of colour and you can be sure it won't be everywhere.



TUBE DRESSES: Remember when I wore my skirt as a dress? well it's official, tube dresses in loose or fitted designs are going to be a major part of our 2016. look at how beautiful they look. This reminds me so much of some of my mum's old pictures wearing similar pieces.
This trend creates the same illusion as the offshoulder dress and its very feminine as well.



VICTORIAN STYLE: A lot of the trends listed above are in some way related to the victorian era, like the sleeves, appliques, trims, prints, voluminous skirts, and bodices with high necked, long sleeved, and tightly fitted to the body. Its interesting that the queen of victorian style pieces Lanre Da Silva opted for simpler pieces but new designers are paying homage to England, the country that gave us independence.
I love this trend a lot and I look forward to exploring it. You should too.


X-FACTOR: Prior to fashion week I discovered this trend, it's mostly seen on pieces that combine double sleeves on and off the shoulder forming an X or crisscross, but it was interesting to see so many backs having the X factor especially Loza's and Tiffany Amber's designs. 
Also there seemed to be a half X or V or inverted V factor on Fruche and Maki Oh's designs.
I love this trend and I just can't wait to explore it more.


These are a few of the trends that I hope you and I will explore this season.
I can't wait to start DIYs based on them.
Which is/are your absolute must try? which would you be skipping?
which do you absolutely LOVE? and lastly do you like my list?

post signature

8 comments

  1. Some of the designs are quite eye catching, and the others not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advices !!
    Thats ruffles and off shoulders for me please !!


    http://afrogenik.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely compiled.
    catwalkwithpat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list!
    I'm most likely to try androgyny, double sleeves, statement sleeves, longer sleeves, head pieces and fringes.

    Nigerian and Natural

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love most of the trends here but I'm really keen on trying the off shoulder look , head pieces and tie dye. Not really a big fan of double sleeves, but that could change. Great post!xx
    coco-bella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this compilation and definitely saving it!!! Beautiful beautiful

    Toyinwithfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Double sleeves/statement sleeves and fringes sound do-able.

    bookiekunlere.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. RUFFLES!!!! I love it!!!

    www.sunlightdreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments keeps me going...
I love to hear from you, read your comments and I would love to check up on you and bond as well, so drop your info.
Thanks for stopping by.
You can Email your other enquiries to Makodesola@gmail.com
x