DEE TOURS || TRAVELING FROM LAGOS, NIGERIA TO ACCRA,GHANA VIA ROAD 2




I really do miss Ghana and I think I want to go again.
If not for anything, for the pace of everything there.
In Ghana, Life is slower and things are working.
They don't have power issues or traffic issues or water issues or fuel issues like we do here.
They enjoy the essential benefits that Nigeria seems to be lacking more and more each day.
In my last Dee Tours Post, I talked about the Journey Travelling from Lagos, Nigeria to Accra. Ghana and so today I will be sharing a second part of that post.


What did I find out when we woke up the first morning?

Our first morning in Ghana was a funny one, I was getting ready to tour the city when I realised I forgot my camera in the ABC transport that brought us to ghana. Immediately I and Alice (A) went to the reception to find our way to their office.
Thankfully they had an address at the back of the ticket and the receptionist at our hotel knew the way so he described the journey.
The silver lining was how the receptionist told us to get a bus to Seecool and when we told him to please write it down, it turned out to be Circle we couldn't stop laughing.
I had exhausted my ghana cedis on cab fare the previous night so I had to borrow some money again to get us to the ABC office.
We also got the description on where to change money in Accra so we could go there as well.
We boarded a bus which took forever to get to our destination, mainly because it was so slow it felt relative to a CMS to AJAH journey which really is long.
we eventually got to CIRCLE, we were hungry and tired and had exhausted all our money once again and we had one more bus to board to the buspark, a nice guy who was on our bus to circle helped us with descriptions and gave us 10 cedis. That money covered the cost of Transportation to the park, the bureau the change place and puffy bread.

Luckily for me a cleaner found my camera on the bus, it took me just two minutes to get it.
I used that opportunity to confirm our tickets for Sunday and then we headed over to the bureau the change area.

We easily found the place negotiated the best rate and headed back to the hotel.
On our way back to the hotel we found a woman selling vintage clothes at Circle and we bought some pretty dresses for really good prices.

what happened the day we were leaving Ghana? 

Fast Forward to the last day of the trip, we had parked a night before, we took our baths and headed out.
we got a cab this time around to the ABC office  and got there some minutes past 6.
we were getting ready to go on the first bus but found out that the lady had confirmed us for the second bus.
We had to wait for over an hour till it was time for the second bus to board.
As usual we boarded and we had to pay #5000 naira again for non passport holders.
As the pastor came on board to pray we found out that the AC on the Bus wasn't working and that ABC had plans to not inform us and just take off.

We were furious, we tried talking and negotiating a solution with the ABC officials but they didn't and weren't willing to come up with a solution which was such a bad service.

Three of us along with Five other passengers got a partial refund (in the craziest exchange rate) and went to charter a Space Bus.
The space bus cost us almost double the fees, we paid almost 14,000 naira.
those who negotiated weren't thorough enough as the bus driver cheated us (a typical nigerian man in the typical nigerian way).
But it was swifter and faster ride, we passed the ABC buses on the road.

We left Accra at about 10am and got to Badagry at about 6.30pm and Okota at about 9pm.
We boarded the Space Bus at Tudu, its close to Makola market (almost like an extension of the market) and about 10mins from Circle.
Its also the same place we exchanged our money initially.

We negotiated with the driver so we didn't have to come down at any border except the Togo border.
the 14,000 naira included all the tips and settlement at the borders.
the bus wasn't as comfortable for sleeping for me but we had a good spot at the back seat where three of us fit in well so it made up for the slight discomfort.

At the togo border we bought fried Yam and potato and gizzard because we were super hungry.
All in all it was a good journey.

So will I be visiting Ghana again? Yes
Will I go by road? Not anytime soon
When is the next Dee Tour? Next week so keep it locked here.

I will be sharing one last post on the who, what, where and how you should know on Ghana.

Have you visited ghana?
will you be visiting soon?
By road or by Air?
post signature

10 comments

  1. I've never visited Ghana but I would definitely love to, especially so I can get some of their jewlery and Kente fabrics. Based on your cost, I guess its quite afforadable, perhaps I will try going by road since I love the adventure behind that. And you know its quite sad that Nigeria is still facing power failure and fuel scarcity while other countries are flexxing. I look forward to your next post on this series.

    Princess Audu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the road adventure is fun if you go with the right company. However the exchange rate isn't so attractive.

      Delete
  2. Yh, I've visited Ghana a couple of times and it's a lovely place. And yes things are just slow and easy. But the sun tho!!! Did you experience the quick daylight. While I was there sometimes at 6 am it's already bright outside. That messed up my sleep schedule for a while. And Ahhhh that Makila market, the section for accessories is just wow. The beads, earrings are really pretty and very good prices. I'll be going to Ghana again after my exams. This time I plan to explore more

    Www.theblackwriter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun for two in ghana, Makola is a beautiful place and yes i remember their accessories section from 2009 when i went. this time it was closed maybe because of easter. the few things we saw/bought were pretty pricey as well.

      Delete
  3. I want to go to ghana again as well, like you said the pace is slower! I also went by road the first time and stopped by at togo for some days also, their beaches are beautiful!!

    www.toyinwithfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Togo is on my list, i really want to chill by the beachsides myself.x

      Delete
  4. We also bought Yam and chicken at the Benin/Togo border.
    I vowed never to travel with ABC ever again... But I must commend some of the staff for their honesty and willingness to help when you have any challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I would probably never travel via ABC again.

      Delete
  5. I've never visited Ghana but I would definitely love to, would stop at Cotonou on way back to Nigeria so as to shop. Thinking of headed by Dec 1st or last week of this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never visited Ghana but I would definitely love to, would stop at Cotonou on way back to Nigeria so as to shop. Thinking of headed by Dec 1st or last week of this month.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments keeps me going...
I love to hear from you, read your comments and I would love to check up on you and bond as well, so drop your info.
Thanks for stopping by.
You can Email your other enquiries to Makodesola@gmail.com
x