BLOGGING 101 || 15 WHERE, WHY & HOW OF SCOUTING FOR LOCATIONS FOR YOUR PICTURES


"You know that friend that sees a nice location for pictures and just has to take a picture"?
Well that's me. Except that I don't have to take a picture immediately, I have to plan a shoot for the blog.

Those of you who have followed my blog from the first/second year till now, would have experienced and followed my growth from the days of corridor location shots, to room location shots, to the most ridiculously unflattering and unprofessional locations to this new era of carefully selected locations that match and enhance my outfit posts.

I have come to the point where I can look back and look forward, and proudly accept the compliment of being a Location King or Queen because of how much energy goes into finally settling for the location that goes perfectly with the look i want to shoot.

I have always talked about how my blog style posts are curated and created to give you a feel of what i'm about. Locations are the very center of those posts just after the style of course.
thinking about it now, the selecting process of a location is part of ones style as well.

Here are Five tips to help you choose the right locations for your outfit posts.

WHERE?

  1. Think Plain Coloured Walls: Coloured walls are the easiest way to go with your outfit posts, they are interesting as they act as a blank canvas, and the fact that they are plain means that there is no way they will take away from your outfit.
  2. Think Nature Elements; [Greenery, water, land] Weeds, the sea, rocks and hills are always a beautiful way to catch your reader's attention, catching the sunset or sunrise will always make your picture or the entire outfit unique. Mostly because those effects can rarely be recreated or filtered.
  3. Think Heights: Terraces, rooftops, Stairs and heights will alway capture a certain kind of view and perspective. With this in mind when looking for locations always choose the ones with interesting heights, perspectives and levels.
  4. Think Unique Architecture: Vintage buildings, weirdly sculptured or shaped architectures always catch my eyes and if it catches my eye, i'm always almost certain that it will catch the eyes of my readers. Plus having a degree in architecture really does help me appreciate buildings with unique architecture even more. Being able to take a picture by one is always a plus.
  5. Think Landmarks: If it is a Landmark. it is good enough to make a picture of it, and why not just slide right in front of it and take a nice picture for keep sake at least. The national theatre, amusement park, the ostriches at costain, the round about at whispering palms and a few other places in lagos are the landmarks i have explored. There are a long list of some I would exploe this year.


Here are Five tips for finding the perfect location.

HOW?
  1. Be Observant: On my way in or out, whether i'm on a bike, car or walking. Whatever I'm doing, as far as i'm moving I'm always looking around me for potential locations. If you want to find more places to shoot especially in Nigeria where the options are limited thanks to our constant littering habit, it is important to always wear your blogger hat everywhere you go. observing everywhere like a vulture.
  2. See Everywhere as a Potential Location: A lot of places I shoot have been passed by a lot of people severally but until I shoot there, they never realise the potentials those places have. Even though i always prefer unedited pictures, I have come to embrace the beauty in rusty, abandoned and littered streets all around me.
  3. Take a Picture, View and Decide: Sometimes, it takes experimenting to decide if a building or view is good enough for your entire aesthetic or not, in which case all you have to do is take a few shots channeling your favourite poses from different angles and if you aren't convinced you move on to the next place.
  4. Think minimalism: with location hunting, 'Less is always more'. Remember that what is really important is your outfit and that the location is just there to add character to it. Choose locations with character but not too much or too busy characters.
  5. Be Spontaneous and Think like a Tourist: There are a few reasons why i like a lot of the photographers or photoexplorers that help me with my pictures, and one of them is that they are always open to taking long walks or treks searching for the perfect location for my pictures. Sometimes we get rewarded with a nicely parked school bus or an empty ferry and just like that we make pictures that are worth more than a thousand words.


and finally Five reasons you need better locations.

WHY?
  1. Locations enhance your pictures and indirectly your outfit and then your blog.
  2. Locations make or mar your outfit. It might not change the fact that you have some style, but it can definitely bore your readers if your location isn't the best.When what you really need is how to drive traffic to your blog.
  3. Locations tell a story about your outfit especially to visualists that words can't.
  4. Perfectly selected Locations give you a sense of fulfilment and confidence when sharing your posts.
  5. Locations turn your outfit posts into something more, it turns it into a travelogue of some sort as it gives your readers the feel of where you live and its potential.
Locations in Nigeria are a cry for help, and when you look at pictures of places in london and china you feel like it comes with its own perfect filter.
However being particular and paying attention to details can give you a feel that is similar or even better, peculiar to those of us in Nigeria or anywhere else in the world.
like I said learn to find beauty and potentials in the ashes.

What are your location concerns? Did this post help? Any further question? lastly, Do you agree with my points?
Do let me know.


Picture above Features my favourite BackPack to take along for shoots by @africanthings, shop here, review up soon.

If this is your very first Blog 101 post, check out a lot more here.
post signature

8 comments

  1. Hmmmm. Nodding. I'm just too lazy for location scouting *wipes tear*

    Epiphany29.com
    Double Dose Of Olive Goodness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case, my photographer (aka hubby) was mostly always too lazy to go along with me.

      Berry Dakara Blog

      Delete
  2. Very helpful tips

    Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much, this was really enlightening
    www.madeinaugustbymarian.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very helpful Dee.

    Although, you could have done this post earlier as I had to learn most of this stuff on my own when it could have been much easier. Hrmph!

    I used to use the same background in all my outfit pictures. Such a sad sturvz. I think my pictures look way better now.

    My fave tip is the fact that you can never go wrong with a plain wall. Unfortunately, most plain walls I come across don't have plain, neat grounds.

    www.miralabelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dee dear, I have found so many fun locations, but guess what my photographers (siblings) are always lazy to go with me, then 2ndly am so shy!
    www.ethniques.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a newbie blogger. And I'm always been scouting for locations,the minute I step out of my house. Thanks for the tip,they quite helpful.


    www.lydiaschronicle.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. I would definitely put these into action.

    www.krizteeyn.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments keeps me going...
I love to hear from you, read your comments and I would love to check up on you and bond as well, so drop your info.
Thanks for stopping by.
You can Email your other enquiries to Makodesola@gmail.com
x