DOUBLE STANDARDS || IN A WORLD OF FEMINISTS


It was a few years back, when I heard two words that I use very often being used together to describe perfectly, a situation that has very much become the bread and butter of our self centered society and age, Double Standards.

It was also a while back that I myself came to accept that being selfish once in a while is fine but being self centered that's a different ball game.

As usual I was scrolling down my Instagram ( @dee_mako ) feed and saw a comment about how " guys should have moved out of there homes by the time they are 25yrs old " and even though the reply was so funny it got me laughing so hard, I started wondering later on why people set those standards for others and not for themselves.

I for one though a girl, really wants to have my own space and move out of my house. Just because I go through this phase in which I just want to be on my bed for days. With no door or windows cracking and no footsteps moving back and forth the hallway. That is my own reason and whether I decide to leave or not, it shouldn't have to define how my friends or other girls should live their own lives.

Double standards happens a lot around us.
Which is ironic in a time that more than half of the female population claim they are feminists.
All of a sudden when it's time for some things, we sway the baton to favour the female sex and at those points we don't want to be equals anymore.


We uphold so many standards for the male sex and in that very same way guys have standards that they think we should follow.

So when next you are about to make a statement like "you are a guy" or "you are the girl", be extremely certain that you are bringing to the table what the guy in those standards is supposed to be bringing to the table and for females be sure that those standards that women have been defined by in the past are being followed by you.

Applying principles differently to a group of people is the very problem around us.

A girl like me who works in civil engineering but was automatically moved to administrative work, because the guy that was in charge felt the need to start going to site more when the new girl came in. And for a girl like me who is automatically assigned the responsibilities of planning every party or organizing the refilling of the water dispenser because she is the "girl" and its a girl's responsibility to do domestic or administrative work, some of which I enjoy and some of which I blatantly refuse to do, I really wish that double standards will just stop before it finally kills my career or turns me into a cranky female.


Two years back, I had to wait down a crawl space stairs for a colleague who believed a girl couldn't handle climbing up. That situation got me thinking of how bad and screwed up the whole situation really is and how people would just automatically standardize  you because of the group you fall under.

I have met guys I am stronger than and girls I am weaker than and as much as God made us in variety, I'm sure he didn't have any double standardization in mind while creating us.

Another version are the sexual standards, a girl can't have more than one sexual partner but boys gonna be boys and they are polygamous in nature..yeah?
Girls shouldn't talk about sexual urges but guys can tweet about it and get high-fived for being so cool, A girl shouldn't wear such clothes but the guys stare at the girls who do.
well this is a topic for another post.


If the world is really changing and we are claiming to be in a progressive age then it's time to set aside all the double standards and remember that the person next to you is human not female or male, tall or short, fat or skinny, black or white, old or young. Just F**king, Human.

Remember, He is Human.
Remember, She is Human.
Remember, They are Human.

What double standards do you battle with? Which ones do you wish will just stop? What are your takes on double standards?
do let me know.

p.s: Giveaway still on, click here
xo
Dee



2 comments

  1. This is a very beautiful post and so well written. I see the double standards you talk about every where and well, we have a long way to go before the African mind can acknowledge the absurdity of stereotyping and double standards. I speak for myself too. When I read this post Chief in Gidi up? came to mind. Lovely write, Dee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! I was telling my friend about this double standard feminazi (not a typo) thing the other day! Everything equality, equality even for the most ridiculous things.

    Feminism used to be about equity- not discriminating women based on gender, giving women a fair chance in the society. Now it has even become a body weight thing.

    If you want to be treated like a man, you gats accept ALL parts that come with it, not just the good sides you prefer.

    I feel it'll be nice to live in a world were nobody is discriminated because of their gender. That's how someone was laughing because my hair stylist is a man. x_x

    P.S: I have a similar post you could check here :)

    Mira La Belle blog

    ReplyDelete

Your comments keeps me going...
I love to hear from you, read your comments and I would love to check up on you and bond as well, so drop your info.
Thanks for stopping by.
You can Email your other enquiries to Makodesola@gmail.com
x